Food Safety Courses

Food Hygiene Training Courses

I own a food business - what do I have to do?

All food business proprietors will have to ensure the following:

  • food handlers are supervised and instructed and/or trained in food hygiene matters in line with their work activities
  • those responsible for developing and maintaining procedures based on hazard analysis critical control points (HACCP) principles, or for the operation of relevant guides must have received adequate training in the application of the HACCP principles

A food handler is defined as any person who directly handles packaged or unpackaged food, food equipment and utensils, or food contact surfaces.

HACCP is a science based food safety management system for systematically identifying hazards and risks of food production and the implementation of cost-effective controls and monitoring procedures at points critical to food safety.  Many small Gloucestershire businesses use "Safer Food Better Business" which is based on HACCP principles

What are my responsibilities?

If you run a food business you will be responsible for identifying any training and instruction needs of food handlers. You will have to determine how these are met.

The measures put into place should ensure that all food handlers have sufficient knowledge and competence to enable them to handle foods safely. What is appropriate in one business may not be appropriate in another as risk varies between Gloucestershire food businesses.

Either you or the person who is responsible for the development and maintenance of the HACCP based food safety management procedures, should receive adequate training in the application of HACCP principles.

The type and nature of the supervision which is necessary will depend upon the number of food handlers within the business, the nature of their work and current training and competence levels.

If you have a high turnover of staff effective supervision and instruction will be particularly critical.

What are the legal requirements for Food Safety training?

Food business have a legal obligation to comply with the rules of the Food Safety Act 1990, and it's associated regulations.  Failure to comply with these regulations can carry lead to fines, poor staff morale, loss of business, a bad reputation and in severe cases possibly even imprisonment.

Regulation (EC) No. 852/2004 on the Hygiene of Foodstuffs, Chapter XII Annex II states I relation to training:

Food business operators are to ensure:

1. That food handlers are supervised and instructed and/or trained in food hygiene matters commensurate with their work activity;

2. That those responsible for the development and maintenance of the procedure referred to in Article 5(1) of this regulation or for the operation of relevant guides have received adequate training in the application of the HACCP principles. 

GDR Solutions offer three levels of general Gloucestershire Food Safety course:

Level 1 Food Safety Course

Designed to ensure that new employees with Little or no prior food safety knowledge are equipped with a basic knowledge of food safety to enable them to produce safe food.

Level 1 Award in Food Safety in Catering

Level 2 Food Safety Course

Designed for anyone working in a catering setting where food is prepared, cooked and handled.

Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering

Level 3 Food Safety Course

Intended primarily for staff who are operating in a supervisory role within the catering and hospitality, retail and manufacturing industries.  It does also enable progression from Level 2 for those staff who wish to develop their knowledge.

Level 3 Award in Supervising Food Safety in Catering

Food Allergen Training Courses

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) in conjunction with DEFRA introduced a food allergen law on 13th December 2014, called the Food Information Regulations EU1169/2011 (FIR Regs)

These regulations affect all food service organisations, no matter what the size. 

Do you own or work in any of the following:

  • Coffee Shops, Café’s, Catering, Fast food
  • Hotels
  • Restaurants, Bistro’s, Pubs and Gastro pubs, Wine, bars, Brasseries
  • Motorway services, 
  • Schools, Colleges, Universities, Hospitals, Care Homes
  • Leisure clubs –  Museums – Cinema – Theatre
  • Leisure attractions such as theme parks
  • Retails stores with cafes, Banqueting and conference facilities
  • Event catering; Outdoor events such as festivals

All food service organisations serving unpackaged food or food that is packaged on site for immediate consumption, will have to supply details of the menu items that contain the Top 14 EU allergens within the dishes they serve.

Important aspects of the new law:

• You can no longer state that you don’t know if an allergen is present
• You can no longer state that all foods “could” contain allergens
• Oral statements have to be backed up in writing if required
• Your local Environment Health Officers will enforce the regulations, non-compliance may result in large fines

The regulations and subsequent enforcement proves that the requirement of staff training at all levels is very important. 

All staff need to be trained in order to understand the requirements of food allergic customers and how to prevent cross contamination

Level 3 Award in Food Allergen Management for Caterers

Licensing Courses

By law all sales of alcohol conducted on licensed premises must be authorised by a personal licence holder. In order to become a personal licence holder, the applicant must hold a regulated qualification to prove they can sell alcohol both legally and responsibly.

Our personal licence holder qualifications provide candidates with essential knowledge of the legal frameworks surrounding the sale of alcohol in England.

Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (previously the National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders)