Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid (blended route)
This course covers procedures for attending to injuries or illnesses more likely to be encountered in the pre-school or school setting. Both life threatening and less serious first aid needs are covered. Meets the requirements of OFSTED.
This course is a blended learning course, which requires completion of our pre-learning prior to attendance. The pre-learning is delivered via our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). The pre-learning takes approximately 6-8 hours to complete, and must be completed in full prior to attendance on the face-to-face programme.
The Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (published by the Department for Education) states "at least one person who has a current paediatric first aid certificate must be on the premises at all times when children are present. There must be at least one person on outings who has a current paediatric first aid certificate" - this qualification fulfils this requirement.
Who Should Attend?
This course is of particular interest to:
Registered Child minders, Nannies & Babysitters
Teachers (Nursery, Primary and Junior)
People working with or interested in working in the field of childcare, or anyone with a professional or non-professional responsibility for children.
This qualification consists of two units:
- Emergency Paediatric First Aid
- Managing paediatric illness, injuries and emergencies
Emergency Paediatric First Aid
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the paediatric first aider
- Be able to assess an emergency situation safely
- Be able to provide first aid for an infant and a child who:
- is unresponsive and breathing normally
- is unresponsive and not breathing normally
- has a foreign body airway obstruction
- has external bleeding
- Understand how to provide first aid to an infant an a child who is suffering from shock
- Understand how to provide first aid to an infant and a child with anaphylaxis
Managing paediatric illness, injuries and emergencies
- Be able to administer first aid to an infant and a child with:
- injuries to bones, joints and muscles
- head and spinal injuries
- Understand how to administer first aid to an infant and a child:
- with conditions affecting the eyes, ears and nose
- with a chronic medical condition or suddent illness
- who is experiencing the effects of extreme heat or cold
- who has sustained an electric shock
- with burns or scalds
- who has been poisoned
- who has been bitten or stung
- with minor injuries
- Understand how to complete records relating to illnesses, injuries and emergencies
Candidates are assessed by ongoing practical assessment, online quizzes and a multiple-choice assessment. On completion, students receive a Paediatric First Aid Certificate, valid for 3 years
£109.95+VAT to include First Aid book and starter pack.
1 day (classroom): 9.00 - 17.00 (if delivered on-site, can be delivered flexibly depending on client requirements - e.g. alternate weekends, etc.)
Delivered from our Newent Training Centre, and on-site with clients (subject to minimum numbers)