Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid
This course covers procedures for attending to injuries or illnesses more likely to be encountered in the pre-school or school setting. Both life threatening and less serious first aid needs are covered. Meets the requirements of OFSTED.
The Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (published by the Department for Education) states "at least one person who has a current paediatric first aid certificate must be on the premises at all times when children are present. There must be at least one person on outings who has a current paediatric first aid certificate" - this qualification fulfils this requirement.
Who Should Attend?
This course is of particular interest to:
Registered Child minders, Nannies & Babysitters
Teachers (Nursery, Primary and Junior)
People working with or interested in working in the field of childcare, or anyone with a professional or non-professional responsibility for children.
This qualification consists of two units:
- Emergency Paediatric First Aid
- Managing paediatric illness, injuries and emergencies
Emergency Paediatric First Aid
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the paediatric first aider
- Be able to assess an emergency situation safely
- Be able to provide first aid for an infant and a child who:
- is unresponsive and breathing normally
- is unresponsive and not breathing normally
- has a foreign body airway obstruction
- has external bleeding
- Understand how to provide first aid to an infant an a child who is suffering from shock
- Understand how to provide first aid to an infant and a child with anaphylaxis
Managing paediatric illness, injuries and emergencies
- Be able to administer first aid to an infant and a child with:
- injuries to bones, joints and muscles
- head and spinal injuries
- Understand how to administer first aid to an infant and a child:
- with conditions affecting the eyes, ears and nose
- with a chronic medical condition or suddent illness
- who is experiencing the effects of extreme heat or cold
- who has sustained an electric shock
- with burns or scalds
- who has been poisoned
- who has been bitten or stung
- with minor injuries
- Understand how to complete records relating to illnesses, injuries and emergencies
Candidates are assessed by ongoing practical assessment, assignment and oral examination. On completion, students receive a Paediatric First Aid Certificate, valid for 3 years
£99.95 to include First Aid book and starter pack.
2 days: 9.00 - 17.00 (if delivered on-site, can be delivered flexibly depending on client requirements - e.g. alternate weekends, etc.)
Delivered from our Newent Training Centre, and on-site with clients (subject to minimum numbers)